It's unknown the origin of the first tower on the promontory of San Benigno and the year of its construction, even if the first reliable source that speaks of the Lantern is a decree of the Fathers of the City of 1128 that a breakdown of the tasks related to its maintenance and the supply of wood to fuel the fire between the men of the suburbs. The inhabitants of Torbella, Sassanedo, Porcile, Cavannuccia and Granarolo in Val Polcevera had to perform guard duty, while the inhabitants of Borzoli, Sestri, Priano and Burlo had to provide each a bundle annual "brisca" or "brugo" (dried brooms and heathers) to stoke the fire in the night. In 1326 it becames "Lantern" thanks to the use of the lamps in olive oil at the expense of the fires and, after being used as a prison in the fourteenth century. It was incorporated in the French stronghold of the bridle and had to endure the destruction of the top during the siege of the fortress by the Genoese; the reconstruction of the building by a group of magistri antelami led by Martino from Rosio, was begun in 1543 with funding from the Bank of St. George and the following year the Lantern assumed its final form. The last change occurred at the beginning of the '800, with the addition of the Savoy fortifications. The tower underwent several restorations since 1932 until its opening to the public in 1994.