Museo Palazzo Reale di Genova
What we call today the Royal Palace is actually a great patrician residence built, increased over time and decorated with splendor, as well as by the Savoy in the nineteenth century, by two great dynasties Genoese: the Balbi (who built it between 1643 and 1650) and the Durres (who enlarged in the late seventeenth century and beginning of the next century). The palace is perhaps the largest architectural complex six-eighteenth century in Genoa that has kept intact its internal representation, complete of fixed decorations (frescoes and stucco) and of those furniture (paintings, sculptures, furniture and furnishings). The vaults of the salons and galleries are painted by some of the biggest names of the Baroque and Rococo decoration. Among the more than one hundred paintings on display in the halls are the best artists of the Genoese seventeenth century, with masterpieces of Bassano, Tintoretto, Luca Giordano, Anthony van Dyck, Ferdinand Voet and Guercino. The visit includes the monumental atrium with stucco-works, the courtyard, the roof garden and the noble apartment on the second floor with spectacular reception rooms such as the Throne Room, the Ballroom and the Hall of Mirrors. Upon reservation it can also visit the House of the Princes Hereditary, also called "Duke of Abruzzi", set up by the Savoy to the first "Piano Nobile" of the building: this wonderful example of royal apartment has still intact furnishings, fabrics and decorations from nineteenth century.