Fara in Sabina is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Rieti in the Italian region Lazio, located about 40 kilometres (25 mi) northeast of Rome and about 25 kilometres (16 mi) southwest of Rieti. It borders the municipalities of Castelnuovo di Farfa, Montelibretti, Montopoli di Sabina, Nerola, Toffia. The Abbey of Farfa is located in the township's territory.
The area was already inhabited in prehistoric times, as attested by several archaeological findings from the mid-Palaeolithic and the late Bronze Ages.
Between the 9th and the 6th centuries BC, a settlement of the Sabines, identified with the city of Cures, existed here, continuing into Roman Empire times. Remains from it include the baths, a small theatre and terraces for agriculture.
The origins of the modern town date however to Lombard times (late 6th century AD), as it has been supposed from the presence of the Lombard word fara ("family clan") in the name. A castle is known from 1006, and from 1050 Fara was a possession of the Abbey of Farfa; later it was a fief of the Orsini.
During World War II, the POW camp P.G. 54 was located at adjacent Passo Corese.
Twin towns — Sister cities
Fara in Sabina is twinned with:
Montelupo Fiorentino in Italy
Santa Vittoria in Matenano, Italy
Media related to Fara in Sabina at Wikimedia Commons
Official website (in Italian)