Luogo - Museum
Where Piazza dei Consoli, 15, Deruta (Perugia)
Municipal Gallery The Pinacoteca comunale of Deruta has been held inside Palazzo dei Consoli since 1999, which is a 14th century building, with the lower part of its façade showing Gothic forms, while the upper part is the result of an 18th century architectural remake. Palazzo dei Consoli, once the premises of the Museo Regionale della Ceramica—which has been definitively transferred to the Convent of San Francesco since 1998—is now entirely dedicated to hosting the local Municipal Gallery’s historical art collection. Formed early on in the 20th century, with works that were once property of churches that have become State owned, the collection has grown day by day in the course of the years. But this happened especially during the year of 1931, when Consilia Pascoli, heiress of the 17th century art collector and writer Lione Pascoli, donated something like forty works of art to the Municipality. Among the works displayed, which the Pinacoteca comunale preserves on the First Floor, are the paintings from the Church of San Francesco and its surroundings: the Madonna of the Consuls, the Gonfalon of St Anthony Abbott of Niccolò di Liberatore—called l’Alunno—and the God The Father and SS Romano and Rocco of Pietro Vannucci—called Il Perugino—stand out. On the Second Floor, the Pascoli Collection has been displayed: the donated works are about forty and were executed by artists—active between the 17th and the 18th centuries—such as Giovan Battista Gaulli, Sebastiano Conca, Francesco Trevisani, Antonio Amorosi, Francesco Graziani and Pietr Van Blomen, and are highly representative of early 18th century Roman art collecting.