c
Comune

Conca dei Marini

Conca dei Marini, (Salerno)

Conca dei Marini is a town and comune in the province of Salerno in the Campania region of south-western Italy. It is situated on a hill close to the coast and between Amalfi and Furore. It was perhaps founded by the Tyrrhenians with the name of Cossa, and was conquered by the Romans in 272 BC. In the Middle Ages, it was a trading base of the Republic of Amalfi. In 1543 it was sacked by Turkish pirates. The port maintained a certain degree of trades until the 19th century, and was also the seat of a tonnara until 1956. Main sights Grotta dello Smeraldo, a karst sea cave Church of St. John the Baptist or of St. Anthony of Padua Church of Santa Maria di Grado Capo Conca Tower, a 16th-century sea watchtower Church of St. Pancratius Martyr See also Fiordo di Furore Amalfi Coast Sorrentine Peninsula References ^ Data from Istat External links Official website

Places