Comune

Carmagnola

Carignano, (Torino)
Carmagnola is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Turin in the Italian region Piedmont, located 29 kilometres (18 mi) south of Turin. As of July 11, 2007, it had a population of 27,043 and an area of 96.4 square kilometres (37.2 sq mi).The municipality of Carmagnola contains the frazioni (subdivisions, mainly villages and hamlets) San Bernardo, Salsasio, San Giovanni, San Michele Grato, Cappuccini, Casanova, Tuninetti, Vallongo, and Motta e Corno.Carmagnola borders the following municipalities: Poirino, Villastellone, Carignano, Lombriasco, Ceresole Alba, Racconigi, Sommariva del Bosco, Caramagna Piemonte.HistoryThe municipality was founded during the 11th century. The land, originally owned by the Arduinic dynasty, passed to the Marquisate of Saluzzo, who had a castle built here. The Saluzzo dynasty soon underwent a rapid decadence ending with a French domination period which lasted 40 years. In 1588 Carmagnola became a possession of the House of Savoy, when Charles Emmanuel I besieged and conquered it. French took possession of Carmagnola a second time during the 17th century, during the civil war between Madamisti and Principisti (supporters of the French and the Savoy dynasty respectively). In this period (1637-1642), the three main subdivisions were raised to the ground as they were conflicting with the defence structures, and immediately re-built around 1.5 km from their original position, where they still are at the present time.In 1690 the city was once again occupied by the French general Catinat, but just one year later Victor Amadeus II of Savoy brought it back among Piedmontese possessions. While its defence buildings were being demolished and its strategic role was progressively decreasing in importance, the town could finally develop agriculture and commerce, mainly of hemp and ropes, which were exported in great quantity to Liguria and souther France. The characteristic of both agricultural and commercial site remained important until after World War II, which caused a massive immigration and a rapid urbanistic expansion.Geographical positionThe town is on the right side of the Po river. The nature of the soil determined, as time was passing, the accumulation of the river sands.EconomyThe economy of the town is currently linked to the industry and intensive production of vegetables and cereals, which the particular soil makes very productive. Industry experienced a notable growth during the 1960s, when FIAT opened an important factory, thus attracting a growing number of immigrants from southern Italy. The rapid growth of FIAT made also possible other activities in the metallurgy, electronics, optics, chemical industry, and food industry fields. Also well-developed are the banking, financial and insurance sectors.Notable citizensFrancesco Bussone da Carmagnola, better known as Il Carmagnola - Renaissance condottiero.Enrico Saroldi - sculptorAntonio Tortone - sculptorGuglielmo Diatto - 19th century founder of the Diatto industrial enterprise.Francesca Maria Rubatto - Catholic nun, founder of the Capuchin Sisters of Mother RubattoFeasts and celebrationsPeppers Fair. It is held between the last week of August and the first of September; it is an eno-gastronomic fair dedicated to the most typical product of Carmagnola's agriculture. It attracts over 250,000 visitors each year.Spring Fair, Fiera di primavera. Held annually in March, dedicated to agricultural commerce, it features many collateral events.Demographic evolutionTwin towns Opatija, Croatia Río Tercero, ArgentinaReferencesExternal linksOfficial website

We are sorry but we are no able to show nothing of beautiful.

If you want to suggest a place to visit, an event, or if you want to tell us a story about Carmagnola, write an email

info@viaggiart.com