In 1913, to celebrate the centenary of the town of Murat, Civic Administration organized and staged "Historical Aspect of the nineteenth century." Following considerable success of this initiative, City Hall decided to create Historical Museum, which was inaugurated on January 26, 1919, in some rooms adjoining Teatro Margherita. It was organized also as War Exhibition, including Library of Brothers De Gemmis and important collections of documents and weapons (including those of general Bonomo and De Bernardis). Museum, elected to non-profit organization with a Royal Decree of 4 March 1926, was enriched more and more with interesting material, such as archives and paintings of Tanzi family. In the ’40s the site was requisitioned by British and American troops to be used as a recreation center for military and much of the material was lost. Only after several years, Museum could reopen to visitors in new premises provided by Town Council. Since 1977 it is located in Strada Sagges, in an old building, whose structure is characteristic for its Medieval houses.