The Institute, founded as a section of State Archives (DM June 7, 1941, pursuant to the Law of 22 December 1939, n ° 2006), became State Archives following the DPR September 30, 1963, No. 1409. In Section were merged the archives, most of which come from the Chancellery of Arezzo, that Ubaldo Pasqui, student of local history, brought together, since 1885, in a single, large complex documentary. The main groups were constituted from the archive of the ancient Municipality, from the archives of a number of courts of the State of Tuscany, from a number of funds that belonged to religious corporations, hospitals, works of churches and other civic institutions and also from various parchments, cadastral records and other documents. The building belongs to a set construction, formed of a merger of buildings belonging to noble families Arezzo part of Guelph (Camaiani, Sassoli, Albergotti). These buildings were built in the final stretch of the Main Village (the current Corso Italy). In fact, the building - which dates back to the fourteenth century - is located at the intersection of Via Corso Italy and Albergotti and initially belonged to that powerful family, as all the major buildings arranged along the eponymous street. The corner portion, thirteenth century, is derived from a residue of pre-existing tower. The building was extensively remodeled in the Renaissance, was restored in the early twentieth century; date back to the last intervention decorations by Galileo Chini and the creation of the entrance from Via degli Albergotti. From this entrance leads now to the halls of the State, whose collections of records and documents occupy the entire structure. On the lower side (the side of Corso Italy) is the characteristic of Bigazza Tower, built in the fourteenth century, then "cut" and then elevated with a questionable intervention twentieth century.