Amatrice is a town and comune in the province of Rieti, in northern Lazio (central Italy). The city is seat of the food-agricultural base of "Gran Sasso e Monti della Laga National Park". History Archaeological discoveries show a human presence in the area of Amatrice since prehistoric times, and the remains of Roman buildings and tombs have also been found. After the fall of the Western Roman Empire, the area became part of the Lombard Duchy of Spoleto, included in the comitatus of Ascoli. The town of Matrice is mentioned in the papers of the Abbey of Farfa in 1012 as commanding the confluence of the Tronto and Castellano rivers. In 1265, during the reign of Manfred of Sicily, Amatrice became part of the Kingdom of Naples. After the capture of the latter by the Angevines, Amatrice rebelled but was vanquished by Charles I of Anjou in 1274, although it maintained some sort of autonomy as an universitas. In the 14th and 15th century it was frequently in conflict with the neighbouring cities of Norcia, Arquata and L'Aquila, and its troops took part in the siege of the latter under Braccio da Montone. In the course of the conflict between Angevines and the Aragonese for the possession of the Kingdom of Naples, Amatrice chose the latter side. In 1529 it was stormed by troops of Philibert of Chalon, a general in the service of Emperor Charles V, who gave it to its general Alessandro Vitelli. Later Amatrice was held by the Orsini and the Medici of Florence, who kept it until 1737. It was severely damaged by an earthquake in 1639. After the unification of Italy, it became part of Abruzzo, being annexed to Lazio in 1927. Cuisine Amatrice is especially famous for the Sugo all'amatriciana pasta sauce. According to popular tradition, numerous cooks of the Popes down the centuries came from Amatrice. Frazioni Aleggia, Bagnolo, Capricchia, Casale, Casale Bucci, Casale Celli, Casale Masacci, Casale Nadalucci, Casalene, Casale Nibbi, Casale Sanguigni, Casale Sautelli, Casale Zocchi, Casali della Meta, Cascello, Castel Trione, Collalto, Collecreta, Collegentilesco, Collemagrone, Collemoresco, Collepagliuca, Colletroio, Colli, Conche, Configno, Cornelle, Cornillo Nuovo, Cornillo Vecchio, Cossara, Cossito, Crognale, Domo, Faizzone, Ferrazza, Filetto, Fiumatello, Francucciano, Le Forme, Moletano, Musicchio, Nommisci, Osteria della Meta, Pasciano, Patàrico, Petrana, Pinaco Arafranca, Poggio Vitellino, Prato, Preta, Rio, Retrosi, Roccapassa, Rocchetta, Saletta, San Benedetto, San Capone, San Giorgio, San Lorenzo a Pinaco, San Sebastiano, Santa Giusta, Sant'Angelo, San Tommaso, Scai, Sommati, Torrita, Torritella, Varoni, Villa San Cipriano, Villa San Lorenzo e Flaviano, Voceto. Notable natives Elio Augusto Di Carlo (1918-1998) Italian ornithologist, historian and physician.