Luogo - Point of interest
Where Corso Vittorio Emanuele, 18, Monteleone di Spoleto (Perugia)
Theater The Teatro di Monteleone di Spoleto is located between three small squares, Piazza Plebiscito, Piazza San Francesco and Piazza del Mercato. It faces the Civic Tower and the Church of San Francesco. A “small theater” in Monteleone is mentioned in a document of 1834, it is recorded in the Gregorian Public Register as a municipal seat for the year 1918. In fact, today the small theater is part of the ambitious plan of the Umbria Region Heritage recovery and enhancement program, which also includes historical theaters, built in small and isolated villages, as evidence of their great vitality. In Monteleone di Spoleto, a Filodrammatica association was founded, at the beginning of the 1900s that operated to make the audience hall of the theater functional up to the first years after the Second World War. In the 1950s the theater was transformed into a “Cinema”—a movie theater—named “Cin Cine” and inaugurated with the screening of a black and white movie: “Torna a Sorrento” of Carlo Ludovico Bragaglia. The 1979 earthquake that violently hit the eastern Apennine dorsal of Umbra, and in particular the Valnerina Valley, offered the opportunity to restore—after twenty years of abandonment—the already heavily damaged small theater. Today the theater has been brought back to the community as a multifunctional audience hall for cultural activities, where the theatrical activities are hosted in the upper floor of the building. It possesses 80 seats and its interiors are completely renewed, in fact the original furniture and fittings—including its wooden gallery, a historical 19th century-like-theatrical manufacture—were definitively lost with the earthquake.