They are the most significant surviving stretch of Medieval urban belt. It is one of the major projects undertaken by Bishop Federico Vanga before 1218. Walls were lapped by Fersina river. At the beginning of Via Santa Croce, between Tower and Walls, it was placed the Holy Cross Gate leading to the road to Verona. Imposing Walls, with Ghibellines battlements, are high on average 15 meters for a thickness ranging from 1.5 to 2.5 meters.