Santuario e casa di S. Caterina
The Sanctuary of Santa Caterina incorporates the old residence of Benincasa, the birthplace of St. Catherine. The complex is divided into several porches, arcades, churches and oratories of various ages. The complex is accessed from the Portico of Italian Municipalities wanted by the Archbishop of Siena Marco Toccabelli to celebrate the proclamation of St. Catherine Patron Saint of Italy by Pope Pius XII in 1939 seguno two loggias, the oldest of which was built in 1550 by Giovan Battista Pelori. From a portal to access the seventeenth-century church that holds the crucifix from which St. Catherine received the stigmata. In the church there is also a votive lamp in bronze volute of the mothers of fallen soldiers in World War II that is fed to afferto oil each year by one of the Italian municipalities or associations of municipalities. Located opposite the entrance to the church is the chapel, which was originally the kitchen of the house of Benincasa. The sixteenth-century building houses a tiled floor to ceiling with cassattoni and wooden choir, the wall paintings documenting scenes from the life of the saint.