It is the symbol of the city. Called also with its ancient name "Tower of Quarda", it is located in Piazza Leon Pancaldo and was built in the fourteenth century at the crossroads of the harbor. The base is slightly slope on three sides, while the north-west side, where is the entrance to the building is straight. About two thirds of its height is followed by three levels protruding Gothic arches. On the side facing the sea there is a fresco depicting the coat of arms of Republic of Genoa dates back to the eighteenth century when it was done the shrine where for the statue of Our Lady of Mercy by the sculptor Filippo Parodi, in 1662.