MUSEO DELL'OPERA DEL DUOMO
The Museum was created in 1967 to house the works of art of the Cathedral and objects related to the cult of the Sacred Belt (Belt traditionally considered as a gift of the Virgin to St. Thomas, at the time of the Assumption of Mary). It was then progressively became Diocesan Museum to save the works from all parts of the diocese. The rooms contain paintings, sculptures, vestments and sacred vessels from the thirteenth to the nineteenth century, among the most important works on marble parapet of the Pulpit of Donatello (1433-38), the "Funeral of St. Jerome" by Filippo Lippi, a relief from Como Giroldo (1262); miniatures by Attavante Attavanti, paintings by Lorenzo di Niccolò, Carlo Dolci, Matteo Rosselli, Livio Mehus, Alessandro Franchi. Recently (June 2008) was added to the Museum also a small archaeological section.