Chiesetta di Piedigrotta
The Church of Piedigrotta was carved into the sandstone rock by some Neapolitans sailors at the end of the seventeenth century, to thank God for having saved. The sailors attributed the miracle to the protection of a painting of the Madonna that was on the ship and than they found on the beach. They dug into the rock a small chapel and there they placed the sacred image. At the beginning of the twentieth century, Angelo and Alfonso Barone adorned the cave with statues depicting scenes and characters of the Holy Scriptures, derived from the same tufa rock.
* Raffello Molè, Fasti e nefasti della città di Pizzo (ricerche storiche), 1947