Luogo - Religious building
CHIESA DI SANT'AGOSTINO
Where Via Roma, Penne (Pescara)
The mullioned windows on the two sides of the church are remains of the original thirteenth-century structure, whereas the façade was re-built in 1959-60 after the bombardment of 1944. The high belfry replicates the typology which Antonio da Lodi brought to the Abruzzi in the second half of the fifteenth century: he added to the tower an octagonal spire, adorned with polychrome ceramic insets. Inside, in the middle of eighteenth-century adornments, a big sixteenth-century fresco stands out, depicting a crowed scene of crucifixion, remarkable example of the late Gothic tradition in the Abruzzi.