The St. Cataldo's Church is entrusted to the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem. Founded by Maione of Bari between 1154 and 1160, the building was then entrusted to the Benedictines of Monreale until 1787. In 1882, after many vicissitudes, the building was fully restored by Giuseppe Patricolo. The Church is a symbol of Palermo. It is likely to have maintained the original configuration to the end of the seventeenth century, when the Archbishop of Monreale John Roan has promoted its restoration and beautification. In the early nineteenth century, the Church was used as headquarters of the Royal Mail. Between 1882 and 1885, Giuseppe Patricolo taken action to restore total stylistic work. The work was completed with a coating of plaster domes in dark red. The complex and radical restoration work has brought the Church to the current configuration, cleaner and free from outbuildings. The flooring inlaid marble and slabs of porphyry and serpentine is substantially the original conformation.