The Vucciria is a well-known market of Palermo (along with those of Ballarò and Capo). The name probably derives from the French "boucherie": initially, in fact, the market was scheduled for slaughter and sale of meat. Later it became a market for the sale of fish, fruit and vegetables. Over the centuries the Vucciria underwent several changes: in 1783, the Viceroy Caracciolo decided to change the look of the main square on which overlooks, building the arcades to the sales counters and a central fountain. In the market area are palaces and works of art, such as Mazzarino Palace, the Garraffello Fountain and Gravina Filangeri of Rammacca Palace. Today, it is moving inside the dense network of narrow streets you can find all the ingredients of Sicilian cuisine (lemon, fresh and salted sardines, olives, dried tomatoes, etc.) And the traditional pyramids of "cuccuzzedde". Do not miss the street food to be eaten on the fly: octopus boiled and seasoned with lemon, stigghiole barbecued and panelle (fried chickpea flour). In recent years, the Vucciria is one of the venues of Palermo nightlife, with many pub in which to drink and listen to music. The famous painting "Palermo's Vucciria" (1974) by Renato Guttuso, visible today at Chiaramonti-Steri Palace, best represents the soul of this historic market.