Museo

Palazzo Abatellis

Via Alloro, 6-10, Palermo Tempo di lettura: meno di 1 minuto

Abatellis Palace, in Kalsa district, is headquarters of the Regional Gallery. The building, designed by Matteo Carnilivari the fifteenth century, is a splendid example of Catalan Gothic architecture. It includes a chapel built between 1535 and 1541, a period in which property had passed to a female monastic community. In the seventeenth century, with the construction of a larger church (today the St. Mary of Pity's Church), the chapel was divided into several rooms: the front used as a parlor, one behind, to warehouses. In 1943 the building was hit by an air strike, losing the loggia, the porch and throughout the south-west wing, with the wall of the tower. After the restoration, the building was used as "Art Gallery for Medieval Collections". In 1953 Carlo Scarpa oversaw the construction and decoration of the Gallery, which was open to the public the following year. In the rooms will take works from the suppressed religious institutions (1866): the ground floor are the works in carving wood of the twelfth century, sculptures of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries (some by Antonello Gagini, such as "The Annunciation" and the "Portrait of a Young Man" and Domenico Gagini,"Madonna of Milk"), painted tiles of centuries XIV and XVII, the "Bust of a Lady" also known as "Eleonora of Aragon", by Francesco Laurana (XV century), the extraordinary fresco "Triumph of Death" (1445). On the first floor, the most important work is the famous "Annunciation" by Antonello da Messina (XV century), considered an icon of the Italian Renaissance. Among other works: "The Last Supper", by Jaume Serra, the "Madonna of Humility", by Bartolomeo Camulio, "The Coronation of the Virgin", by Riccardo Quartararo and sixteenth-century paintings by Antonello Crescenzio. The Room XIII homes a valuable series of Flemish paintings (XV-XVI century), whose pearl is the triptych "Malvern", by Jan Gossaert, miniaturist work representing a Madonna and Child with Angels and Saints. The new spaces (Green Room and Red Room) have a significant collection of the late Sicilian Mannerism, the seventeenth-century painting and Realism.

Potrebbero interessarti