Fountain of Neptune is the second fountain built by Giovanni Angelo Montorsoli in Messina after the Fountain of Orion. It was commissioned by the city senate and still is located in Duomo Square. The first work was completed in 1557. Original statue of Neptune remained within the Church of St. Mary of the Germans until the earthquake of 1908 and is currently visible at the Regional Museum of Messina. In 1934 Fountain was moved to its present site. God Neptune wielding his trident and keeps chained at his feet monsters Scylla and Charybdis: allegory of the physical and moral strength of the city taming adversity. Fountain is studded with inscriptions, including the author's signature engraved on the edge of octagonal basin.