Religious building

CONVENTO DI SAN FRANCESCO

Via di San Francesco, Capestrano, (L'Aquila)
The convent, founded in the sixteenth century by order of Giovanni from Capestrano, was gradually adjusted and enlarged until the mid XIX century. In 1735 a wide presbytery with an apse and two chapels were added on the right side; in 1709 the cloister was built on the left side of the church and in 1742 the structure was completed with a dormitory and a precious library, rich of documents and extremely valuable books. In 1750 the cloister was joined to the upper level through a magnificent staircase. The building includes the Museum of the Convent of San Giovanni from Capestrano, which preserves evidences of the saint born in the town.

Potrebbero interessarti