Angera (Latin: Angleria) is a town and comune located in the province of Varese, in the Lombardy region of northern Italy. In Roman times, it was an important lake port and road station. Formerly known as Anghiera, Angera received the title of city by Duke Ludovico il Moro of October 7, 1497.
The area offers good wines and panoramas over Lago Maggiore.
Rocca Borromeo di Angera (Borromeo Castle), a castle overlooking the Lake Maggiore at the top of a 200 m-high limestone hill, on the side opposing to the town of Arona. It houses the Museum of Dolls, including a collection of more than 1000 pieces from whole Europe. The castle was founded in the early Middle Ages (before the 10th century) and was later owned by the Della Torre, Visconti (after the Battle of Desio in 1277) and Borromeo families.
Parish church of S. Maria Assunta
Parish church of S. Alessandro
Sanctuary of Madonna della Riva, an octagonal building designed by Gerolamo Quadrio
Town's Archaeological Museum
Peter Martyr d'Anghiera (1457–1526), historian of Spain.
Cristoforo Solari called il Gobbo (c.1460–1527), sculptor and architect.
Churches in Angera
The Rocca Borromeo