Via Mazara, Sulmona, (L'Aquila)
Formerly dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, the church of San Francesco della Scarpa was restored by order of Charles of Anjou who, in 1290, allocated a huge sum for enlarging the building. An earthquake destroyed most of the church, which was later re-built in Baroque style and detached from the extant buildings. The new structure has a central plan and was stuccoed by Lombard artists who gathered around Pietro Piazzoli. It keeps a noteworthy fifteenth-century wooden cross and traces of fourteenth-century frescoes. The remains of the apse and of the monumental splayed side-portal, with a frescoed lunette, are remarkable as well.