Luogo - Religious building
CATTEDRALE DI SAN PANFILO
Where Viale Roosvelt, Sulmona (L'Aquila)
San Panfilo Cathedral, built on the ruins of a pagan temple, was restored by order of the bishop Trasmondo in 1075; after an earthquake in 1706 a new Baroque building replaced the previous Romanic one, of which nevertheless the three apses and a portal on the right side remained.
A projecting cornice divides in two parts the façade, which ends in a horizontal coping and contains the ribbed-vaulted belfry. The Medieval portal carried out by Nicola Salvitti and a lunette representing Christ's Deposition are remains of the former building.
The plan extends lengthwise and consists of a nave and two aisles divided by circular pillars; from the raised presbytery it is possible to reach the saint's crypt and the museum of the cathedral. The wood choir and pulpit were carved by the Ferdinanado Mosca from Pescocostanzo; the funeral monuments inside the church and the frescoes of the crypt are noteworthy as well.
A Museum is set inside the church and exhibits one part of the cathedral's treasure, along with archives containing more than twelve thousand documents and three thousand parchments dating between the XI and the XIX century.