Luogo - Archaeological Area
CHIESA DI SAN PIETRO
Where Alba Fucens, Massa d'Albe (L'Aquila)
The church, founded in the XII century, stands in the surroundings of the ruins of Alba Fucens, upon the remains of a pagan temple. The ancient chapel was turned into a large building made of a nave and two aisles with apses, reusing columns of previous buildings of the Roman town. The bell-tower was added later on the fa?ade of the church; on the front it has a carved wood portal, one of the few thirteenth-century examples in the Abruzzi. Inside, a comatesque style iconostasis separates the presbytery from the hall reserved to the congregation; the pulpit, built against the columns of the left nave, divides the church lengthwise. The Easter candle results from sections of columns placed one upon another and surmounted by a thirteenth-century capital. The Baroque adjustments and most of the frescoes got destroyed in the earthquake of 1915; a restoration carried out in the Fifties brought the church back to its original Medieval configuration.