Piazza Bartolomeo d', 10, Alviano, (Terni)
Alviano Castle Museums - Bartolomeo D’Alviano and the Captains of Fortune - Historical-Multimedia Museum - Rural Culture Museum: The Land and the Tools - Documentation Center of the Alviano Oasis’ Fauna Standing on a hill on the left of the Tiber River, between Orvieto and Amelia, the Castello D’Alviano houses the museums. This Castle was at the origins of the urban nucleus of Alviano Municipality. It was built in the 10th century, and rebuilt in 1490 by Bartolomeo D’Alviano, a Captain of Fortune, who served the Papal State and the Republic of Venice as a mercenary and was a major figure of his lineage, who made Alviano the capital of a powerful, autonomous fief. To his figure, the historical section of the museum—the Museo Storico Multimediale del Castello D’Alviano—is dedicated, which reconstructs through images, documents and multimedia apparatuses the fundamental role of the Umbrian Captains of Fortune and particularly that of Bartolomeo, whose most admirable deeds are illustrated. Another section of this museum—the Museo della Civiltà Contadina—is dedicated to documenting the Rural Culture through the tools and objects of everyday use in the life of a farmer, belongings of local families between the end of the 19th century and the aftermath of the Second World War that are connected with the production of wine and oil and the processing of hemp and wheat as well. A third section—the Centro di Documentazione Faunistica dell’Oasi—hosts the Alviano Natural Oasis Documentation Center, where pictures and illustrative panels show the peculiar aspects of the Tiber River environment and the Fauna and Flora characteristics of the Park.