Alghero is one of the few fortified towns to have retained much of its walls. The first system of fortifications of the city dates back to the thirteenth century, the urban Genovese plant. With the arrival of the Catalans, in 1354, the defense system was restored and expanded. The original curtain wall remains only some aspects, most of the stretch visible today dates back to the sixteenth century. Along the walls rounds seven towers and three blockhouses: recently restored, the ramparts offer a walk around the old town, joining with the Lungomare Dante. Starting from Piazza Sulis, from Piazza della Dogana Juharia to dock, there are Catalonia and Aragon bastions in defense of the old city.