Elected "Orange Flag" by Italian Touring Club, the town of Soave is known for its Scaligero Castle and its typical Soave White DOC wine. City Walls were built in 1369 by the will of Cansignorio della Scala and collected inside them historical nucleus of the town. In ancient times, only three doors opened in the Walls: Porta Aquila (now Porta Bassano) to the north, Porta Vicentina to the east and Porta Verona to the south. Scaligero castle is a fortress that has marked the history of the town: it has fallen into a state of neglect and it was restored in 1890 and today it can be reached on foot from Piazza Antenna or by road that rises north of the country. Among sacred buildings, Sanctuary of Santa Maria della Bassanella (XI century), St. Lowrence's Church (13th century) and St. George's Church (13th century).