Monteu da Po, (Torino)
Monteu da Po is a small comune in the province of Turin, Piedmont, Italy, 32 km north-east of Turin.HistoryMonteu da Po was an ancient settlement of the Ligures. Its pre-Roman name, which appears on inscriptions of the early imperial period, was Bodincomagus from the Ligurian name of the Po, Bodincus, which meant "bottomless". It stood on the right bank of the river, which has since changed its course and runs now a kilometre to the north of the town.In Roman times this became the flourishing colonia Industria of the Augustan Regio IX, enrolled in the tribus Pollia. Its importance derived from its location on the road which followed the Po from Augusta Taurinorum to Vardagate.Excavations have brought to light a tower, a cult building (previously identified as a theatre), a sanctuary of Isis, valuable bronze figures (some of them made locally) and numerous inscriptions.Industria appears to have been deserted in the fourth century CE.The name "Monteu" came from Latin mons acutus = "sharp mountain".ReferencesIndustria at the Perseus Digital Library. This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. http://www.comuni-italiani.it/001/162/External links“INDU´STRIA'” in William Smith, Ed. (1854), Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography.