Founded in 1852 under the name of Central Directorate of State Archives. The area of the present site, near Beccaria Square, was already occupied during the Fascist era by Italian Littorio Youth House. The need to provide a new home for the State Archives (housed in the Uffizi Gallery) led to the definition of a project, work by Italo Gamberini and a group of architects directed by him, which included the demolition of the previous building and the construction of the new factory. The complex was opened in 1989. The building, in reinforced concrete, is completely covered with artificial stone slabs. The Archive is an inexhaustible mine, partly unexplored, of documents of every age, from the Passignano Abbey cards (eighth century), of fundamental importance for the art-historical and language studies, to the present day. The heritage of the Archive, which also has a warehouse subsidiary in Sesto Fiorentino, is about 600 funds, for a total of more than 75 Km of the most different types of documents (correspondence, diplomas, illuminated manuscripts, charters, drawings, geographical charts, etc.) that make the State Archives of Florence a reference point for researchers throughout the world.