It was built in wood in 1252, taking its name from the nearby Santa Trinita's Church. It was rebuilt in stone, but gave way under the pressure of the great flood of 1333. The subsequent rebuilding lasted half a century, and then on to the current building, designed by Bartolomeo Ammannati and Michelangelo, who suggested the modern line of three arches, an innovation that anticipates the fashion of the Baroque and also has considerable static resistance. The construction took place between 1567 and 1571, with pietra forte and brown yellowish. The Bbridge owes its elegance also to support pylons, with white scrolls on the arches and the four allegorical statues that decorate the corners and depicting the four seasons: the works by Pietro Francavilla (Spring), Taddeo Landini (Winter) and Giovanni Caccini (Summer and Autumn) in honor of the wedding of Cosimo II to Maria Magdalena of Austria (1608). The Bridge was destroyed by the Germans in 1944. On idea by antiquarian Luigi Bellini it was rebuilt identical to the original by Riccardo Gizdulich and Emilio Brizzi. The four statues were fished out of the Arno; the Hhad of Spring was found only in 1961, offering an opportunity for the film "Miracle at St. Anna" by Spike Lee (2008).