Between 1965 and 1973 a series of excavations carried out under Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore has brought to light the remains of ancient Basilica of Santa Reparata, surest testimony of early Christianity in Florence (about 405) and among the most large early Christian complex of Tuscia. The plant had three aisles, with colonnades that surrounded the central one and a fence of barriers that separated the choir apse and ancient area of adoration from the public area. Reconstructed during Carolingian period, Santa Reparata maintained the previous setting with the addition of two side chapels, a small crypt and a new floor. Subsequent renovations kept Santa Reparata alive until 1379, when it was finally demolished to make way for new Cathedral. The remains of the church are still visible in the basement of Cathedral, taking a stairway down to the excavations, a large open area to the public in 1974. Here you can admire many remains of walls and floors of Roman houses; a Florentine fresco of the mid-fourteenth century and many tombstones, including that of Filippo Brunelleschi.
Daily 10:00 am 5:00 pm. Ticket 15 €
Entry from Cathedral, central nave.