Comune

Castiglione Chiavarese

Castiglione Chiavarese, (Genova)
Castiglione Chiavarese is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Genoa in the Italian region Liguria, located about 50 kilometres (31 mi) southeast of Genoa.Castiglione Chiavarese borders the following municipalities: Carro, Casarza Ligure, Deiva Marina, Maissana, Moneglia.HistoryIn ancient times the area of Castiglione probably marked the border between the Ligurian and the Etruscan cultures. the modern frazione of Velva was a Roman municipium during Trajans reign.The Val Petronio was colonized by Benedictine monks after the fall of the Western Roman Empire; later it became a possession of the Fieschi family who, in 1276, sold Castiglione to the Republic of Genoa. In 1747 the latter built here a series of fortifications against the Austrians. In 1815, after a short Napoleonic rule, it was acquired by the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont, becoming part of the newly unified Kingdom of Italy in 1861.Main sightsChurch of Sant'Antonino martire (1143)Conio Abbey (1664)Roman bridges and roadsTransportCastiglione Chiavarese is located across the SS523 State Road connecting it to Sestri Levante, which also houses the nearest railway station.SourcesFigone, Fausto (1995). La Podesteria di Castiglione. Lineamenti storici. Chiavari. Footnotes

Places