Luogo - Religious building
CHIESA DELLA MADONNA DEL LAGO
Where S.S. 479 Sannitica, Scanno (L'Aquila)
The church of Santa Maria dell'Annunziata, also called Madonna of Lake, was founded in 1702 on the place of a miraculous image of the Holy Mary, on the shore of Scanno Lake. At first the entrance of the church was on the west side but it was moved on the southern side owing to works for building a suitable for vehicles. Here the engineer Lanfranconi from Como built a stone staircase and a metal penthouse over the new entrance door. The interior was restored in the course of the twentieth century: in 1903 Galassi carried out a magnificent neo-Gothic altar for the church, which was so successful that in 1911-12 the architect Ettore Ferrari proposed a restoration project of the inner parts of the church in neo-Gothic style and adorned with frescoes by painters from Scanno. The ancient statue of the Madonna of Lake, kept in the church, was stolen in 1979 and replaced with a sculpture made by a local artist.