Cividate Camuno (Hiidà in local camunian dialect) is an Italian comune of 2,774 inhabitants (2011), in Val Camonica, province of Brescia, in Lombardy.
The territory of Cividate Camuno is bordered by several municipalities: to the east to Bienno, on the north to Breno and Malegno, to the west to Piancogno, and south to Esine and Berzo Inferiore.
Originally a Roman town, is built on a former place of settlement. In medieval times it was known as Civethate.
Between 1863 and 1887 Cividate assumes the name "Cividate Alpino", but because of bureaucratic confusion, in 1887 the village assumed the name "Cividate Camuno" .
The churches of Cividate Camuno are:
Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta, standing on the site of the baptismal chapel dedicated to St. John the Baptist, which was replaced after the 11th century by the Romanesque church.
Church of Santo Stefano. Commanding the countryside, it is accessed by a ladder with four flights with no other possibility of approach (the ladder is dated 1770). Archaeological excavations have reported pre-Christian elements.
Medieval tower of the 12th-13th century.
Archaeological Museum of Val Camonica
The Roman park of the theatre and amphitheatre
The scütüm are in camunian dialect nicknames, sometimes personal, elsewhere showing the characteristic features of a community. The one which characterize the people of Cividate Camuno is Pàtate, Bö or Maia Hüche.
Blessed Giuseppe Tovini
Blessed Mosè Tovini
Historical photos - Intercam (Italian)
Historical photos - Lombardia Beni Culturali (Italian)
(English) Archaeological park with Roman theatre and amphitheatre and national museum (Italian)