The toponym Rosignano probably derives from a person's name from Roman era, Rasinius or from Rasinii family. In the Middle Ages in Rosignano Della Gherardesca and San Felice di Vada Monastery had estates. It was a Pisan municipality from the 10th century. From 1046 we have the first documents of fortified center, of which however no traces remain visible, if not some portions of the northern and western walls near Church of SS. Giovanni Battista and Ilario and some post-medieval bastion towers. Among the buildings to visit, Oratory of Madonna della Neve, Solvay Theater and Pasquini Castle. Archaeological Museo, inside the castle, exhibits concerning the history of productive activities in the territory of the upper Val di Cecina, as well as those coming from the necropolis of Castiglioncello and Vada, from archaeological area of San Gaetano di Vada and from numerous Roman villas.