Comune

Acqui Terme

Acqui Terme, (Alessandria) Tempo di lettura: meno di 1 minuto
Acqui Terme (Äich in Piedmontese) is a city and comune of Piedmont, northern Italy, in the province of Alessandria. It is about 35 kilometres (22 mi) south-southwest of Alessandria. It is one of the principle winemaking communes of the Italian DOCG wine Brachetto d'Acqui.The hot sulphur springs have been famous since this was the Roman town of Aquae Statiellae; the ancient baths are referred to by Paulus Diaconus and the chronicler Liutprand of Cremona. In 1870 Giovanni Ceruti designed a little pavilion, known as La Bollente, for the spot at the centre of the town where the waters bubble up at 75 °C (167 °F).HistoryIn the Roman period the place was connected by road with Alba Pompeia and Augusta Taurinorum (Turin). The local Ligurian tribe of the Statielli had joined the Romans at an early period, but were attacked in 173 BCE and some were transferred to the north of the Po. In the neighbourhood of the town, near the river Bormida, are the remains of the aqueduct which supplied it.In the 6th century it became part of the Lombard kingdom of northern Italy. Acqui was ruled by its bishop from 978, becoming an independent commune in 1135. In 1278 it was annexed to the Marquisate of Montferrat, to which it belonged until the acquisition by the Duchy of Savoy.It was connected by a railway line to Genoa in 1892.Main sightsThe Gothic Acqui Cathedral, dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta, was built in the late 10th century and consecrated in 1067 by bishop Guido. It is a Romanesque edifice on the Latin cross plan, with a nave and four (originally two) aisles. The façade has a main portal sculpted by Antonio Pilacorte, a late 15th century rose window and a 17th-century portico. The Gothic bell tower is from 1479. The interior houses a late 15th-century triptych by the Spanish artist Bartolomé Bermejo, and a Baroque altar of Saint Guido.The Palaeologi Castle, mentioned for the first time in 1056. It was rebuilt in the 15th century by Marquis William VII of Montferrat.Church of San Pietro or Addolorata, of Palaeo-Christian origins. It was almost entirely rebuilt in the 10th-11th centuries in Romanesque style, when it become a Benedictine abbey. It was again largely renovated in the 18th century, being returned to a neo-Romanesque appearance in the 1930s.Church of St. Francis. It includes two 15th century cloister of the former Franciscan convent.Notable peopleGiulietto Chiesa (born 1940), journalist and politician.GalleryReferencesExternal links Media related to Acqui Terme at Wikimedia CommonsOfficial website "Acqui". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913. Acquese Web Portal of tourism, typical products, health and wellness in Italian

We are sorry but we are no able to show nothing of beautiful.

If you want to suggest a place to visit, an event, or if you want to tell us a story about Acqui Terme, write an email

info@viaggiart.com