c
Comune

Venzone

Venzone, (Udine)

Venzone (Friulian: Vençon) is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Udine in the Italian region of Friuli-Venezia Giulia, located about 90 kilometres (56 mi) northwest of Trieste and about 30 kilometres (19 mi) north of Udine. History Venzone was mentioned for the first time in 923 AD as Clausas de Albiciones, and 1001 in a document by Otto III. The local lord had it surrounded by a massive double line of walls starting in 1258. Venzone was acquired by the Patriarchate of Aquileia in 1336. In 1351 it became part of Austria and, together with all of Friuli, was ruled by the Republic of Venice after 1420. After a period under Austrian domination, it was annexed to the newly formed Kingdom of Italy in 1866. Venzone was almost entirely destroyed by the earthquake that struck Friuli in 1976, and was rebuilt in the following year. The reconstruction was finished in 1990, with the cathedral church (Italian: Duomo). Main sights The cathedral church, erected by Master Giovanni in 1338. This is a noteworthy Gothic edifice with a simple façade with a portal decorated by reliefs of the saints and Christ, a tall bell tower, and an apse area with high windows flanked by Gothic pilasters. The southern side has also several mullioned windows. The interior has remains of 14th and 15th-century frescoes and decorated capitals. Outside is a small baptistery. The Communal Palace (1390–1410), with a loggia accessible from an external stairway. The medieval walls Movies The first 20 minutes of the movie A Farewell to Arms (1957) were filmed in Venzone Gallery References External links Page with medieval art in Venzone (Italian) Media related to Venzone at Wikimedia Commons

Places