c
Comune

Follonica

Follonica, (Grosseto)

Follonica is a town and comune (township) of province of Grosseto in the Italian region of Tuscany, on the Gulf of Follonica (Golfo di Follonica), about 40 kilometres (25 mi) northwest of the city of Grosseto. History It was founded in 1834 by Grand Duke Leopold II of Tuscany for the workers of a new ironworks plant. However, the area was already settled in Etruscan and Roman times, and a medieval castle (Castello di Valli), whose ruins overlook now the modern town from a nearby hill, existed since at least 884. Until 1923 it was a frazione of Massa Marittima. Tourism Follonica is a popular tourist site during the summer, mostly visited by the Italians themselves. The city has been awarded the Bandiera Blu ("Blue Flag") every year from 2000 to 2007 for the cleanliness of its beaches and seawater. Transports The Via Aurelia highway (SS 1), which runs from Rome to the Franco-Italian border, passes close by the city. The railway linking Reggio Calabria in the south and Turin in the north runs through the city, providing direct railway connections to the cities of Grosseto, Rome, Turin, Naples, Pisa and La Spezia, among others. Main sights Church of San Leopoldo Castle of Valli Pievaccia, remains of a large fortified medieval monastery. Twin towns Charleroi, Belgium Kołobrzeg, Poland Hedemora, Sweden External links Media related to Follonica at Wikimedia Commons Municipality of Follonica (Italian) Technological and Archaeological Park of Colline Metallifere Grossetane Church of San Leopoldo

Places