Loggia del Capitano (o Palazzo del Capitano)
Late work by Andrea Palladio, overlooking Piazza dei Signori, right in front of Palladian Basilica. On the main floor it will meet the city council. The palace was designed in 1565 and built from 1571 to 1572 as representative residence of Republic of Venice in the city. It was decorated by Lorenzo Rubini and presents within nine paintings by Giovanni Antonio Fasolo. The structure is based on a giant composite order: on the ground floor there is a large covered loggia that supports Bernarda Room, enriched by frescos of the XVI century. The facade is alternated by four half-brick giants and three large arches. The decorations are made of Istrian stone and stucco and are the personification of the rivers. The lateral facade is adorned with stucco bas-reliefs and two allegorical statues to commemorate the victory against Ottomans at Battle of Lepanto (October 7, 1571), who helped the people of Vicenza.