Ponte di Rialto
The Rialto Bridge is the oldest and most famous of the bridges that cross the Grand Canal in Venice. The growing importance of the Rialto market on the eastern bank of the canal, did increase the traffic on the old floating bridge, so a first wooden bridge was built around 1250: two ramps that were joined together at a central mobile section, if was necessary to raised to allow the passage of ships. In 1444 the bridge has collapsed under the weight of the large crowd gathered to witness the passage of the procession of the bride of the Marquis of Ferrara. In 1503 began the construction of a stone bridge, designed by Andrea Da Ponte and Antonio Contin: the structure is very similar to the previous one, with shops on both sides and a portico covering.