Architecture

Ponte San Giorgio

Via Legnago, 1922, Mantova

St. George's Bridge was built in wood between 1198 and 1199, under hydraulic implemented by engineer Alberto Pitentino that transformed the swamp around Mantova in a complex of lakes, so-called Lakes of Mantova, to protect the city from flooding and the enemy armies. Ludovico Gonzaga, in the fourteenth century, did make the bridge masonry, then covered, as evidenced by a plaque of 1417. It was during the French siege that the structure was damaged along with the village. In 1922 the arches were buried, it was shot down the drawbridge and built the present Bridge.