Architecture

Mercato Centrale

Piazza del Mercato Centrale, 6, Firenze

The Central Market is one of the results of the period of the so-called "Cleansing" of the period of Florence Capital of Italy (late nineteenth century). To realize the structure was hired Giuseppe Mengoni, the architect of the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II of Milan, who designed a remarkable work, with the integration of the latest materials (iron, glass and cast iron) appearance of existing buildings. Around the building, a loggia with ten classical arches on each side, with slender stone columns. The inauguration took place in 1874, on the occasion of International Agriculture Exposition. The functionality of the building is particularly evident inside, where light filters abundant from high windows on which rests the roof and returns the effect of an open market. The layout of the stores is not random, but divided into areas that also take account of natural ventilation due to the shape of the three naves of the building. In 2014 it was re-opened on the first floor of the complex, with a number of restaurants and activities.

Firenze

Firenze

Booking.com