It is one of the oldest buildings in the city. It is situated besides St. Mary of Angels's Church, near ancient Arab quarter and dominatesSalso valley. Origin of Castle is still a matter of debate: the most accepted version wants it built by Byzantines between 750 and 800. Castle was scene of various events under Angevin. In 1407 began its period of decline; in 1567 the fort collapsed in the earthquake, remained standing but a few embankments, two towers and a guard tower. In 1591 they were begun some maintenance work that came to transform Castle into a quarry. Following renovations in 1600 was found the body of Adelasia, grandson of Roger de Hauteville, surrounded by a ring of copper which indicated her name.